Good intentions, bad suggestions

21 Oct

In case you didn’t know, the guy works as a business consultant. And if you have ever spent any amount of time with business consultants clowns, you know that they mostly are a bunch of egotistical, sociopathic, megalomaniac assholes. Like sharks in expensive suits – all blood thirst, no emotion. (Just kidding. I like sharks. Business clowns, on the other hand … )

Now, the guy has a new colleague who goes behind the team’s back every occasion he gets to cozy up to to the bigger cheese, befriend the clients and badmouth everyone else on the team. Of course the guy complains about this behavior to me, because it is unprofessional and hurts the team and the project they have been hired to complete. The way I see it, N.A. (New Asshole) is trying to launch his own carreer at the expenses of everyone around him. No making friends, no building connections or gathering experience, no taking hostages (figuratively speaking, of course).

And for the past few weeks I told the guy that he had to shape up in order to defend the team, show N.A. that the project won’t work this way and give him a taste of his own medicine. But I feel bad for doing so. That’s not who the guy is. He is patient and sweet and careful around people so he won’t hurt their feelings (he can also be judgemental as hell, but only in private – no one’s perfect, right?). He thinks of his team and the bigger picture and wants everyone to cooperate and just get shit done.

So now I am stopping to tell him to “shark up” and be the bigger predator. He’s great just the way he is. Let the others fight about careers and bloody scraps, as long as the guy keeps his soul intact.

6 Responses to “Good intentions, bad suggestions”

1. petoskeystone October 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm #

As blatant as New Shark is, his behavior should be obvious to the boss. If the Boss refuses to correct this behavior, then I question how much of a chesive team the Boss is interested in.

• diandralinnemann October 24, 2016 at 9:06 am #

From what I have seen, about eighty percent of business consultants are pure evil. The sooner we get him out of there, the better.

2. Magaly Guerrero October 21, 2016 at 9:40 pm #

We can’t fix the world–not even the bit around us–if we stop being ourselves. So I’m glad you told the guy that it was all right to handle things in his own way–you and I would have probably mad N.A. eat his expensive suits, but hey, that’s us. Like PetoskeStone, I wonder why the boss hasn’t interfere. This doesn’t sound like anything that could benefit the bigger picture, as the suggested.

• diandralinnemann October 24, 2016 at 9:07 am #

No, but if the boss somehow gets the team to compete into finishing the project cheaper (i.e. working overtime for free etc.), he’ll get a bigger bonus. The system stinks. And yes, I’d have found a way to hide the body. Pulled pork, anyone?

3. Norman Andrews October 22, 2016 at 11:35 pm #

In my experience lots of bosses like this kind of thing, a new person coming in and stirring things up ,they think keeps everyone else trying that much harder .

Norm.

• diandralinnemann October 24, 2016 at 9:09 am #

I’ve only got a tiny team to manage (four people, me included), and I spend tons of efforts on getting everyone to like each other and cooperate. Stupid me, thinking that people who have a real connection might step in and help each other out without sabotaging the team. :-/