To hex or not to hex, that is the question

19 Jun

No, not really.

Of course you know where I am coming from.

A few days ago, several hundred witches joint forces to hex convicted rapist Brock Turner because he got off too easy in about everyone’s opinion.

To this, famous witch Raymond Buckland reacted by saying that witches do not hex people.

To this I have two opinions – because nothing is ever straight and simple with me, sorry folks! ^^

First of all, I think that witches can and do and occasionally even should hex, and that no one has the right to tell them otherwise (or state that hexing makes you less of a witch) – not even Raymond Buckland. If you say you want to practice witchcraft with only light and love, that is your right, and no one should look down on you. If, however, you feel that every now and then someone needs a hug with a magical chair in the face, you’re just as much a witch as every fluffy bunny I have ever seen.

Magic does not care what you use it for.

Magic is neither “good” nor “bad”, and I highly doubt that our deities think in the same narrow categories as we do.

Of course everything comes with a price, so if you really want to hex someone, be sure you are willing to bear the consequences. A while ago I hexed the husband of a colleague because he was abusing her. And if at some point in history my soul will be devoured by a giant pink divine hippo because of this hex, I am more than willing to pay this price. Does this make me less of a witch? Definitely not. Does it make me less of a good person? Maybe – I haven’t made up my mind yet whether “being good” is really such a good thing for mankind.

A former colleague has been asking me about spells and hexes for the last few weeks to get back at her lover. Do I condone her actions? Not necessarily. Have I answered her questions? Yes. But … why, you ask? Because I want her to not follow some rambling weirdo magicion on the internet who sells her expensive ground up dustbunnies as hexing powder. I want her to know what she is getting herself into, and if she feels willing to pay the price, I want her to have the right tools. (Again, if at some point in history my soul will be devoured by a giant pink divine hippo because of this, I am fine with it.)

Now on to the second part of the problem.

I do not think it right to form mobs, magical or mundane, and go after people who have committed any kind of crime. This has nothing to do with the hexing problem – I am just nor comfortable with mob activities. I think the “sentence” was more of a joke. I think anyone who would assault and rape a drunk person (or any person at all) deserves to be rolled down a hill in a casket with spikes on the inside, fairy-tale-style. But we as a society should not take justice into our own hands. We do not lynch people, we do not burn at the stake. And this is why we should not come together to hex a single person, not even someone as deserving as Brock Turner.

The aftermath of a crime like this should be about supporting the victim. Send her energy, help her heal – instead of shining even more light on the scumbag who assaulted her. If after a terrible crime like this your attention is on the attacker, while the victim is left alone to deal with the results as best as she can, you may just be part of the problem.

And, again – we as a society should not lynch.

9 Responses to “To hex or not to hex, that is the question”

1. petoskeystone June 20, 2016 at 12:35 am #

“A good person” is a social construct, dependent on a culture’s mores. What bothers me about public Hemingway, is why would anyone make a threat publicly?!

• diandralinnemann June 20, 2016 at 9:05 am #

Some people believe that, in order for a hex to work, the person needs to be aware of being hexed. I don’t know whether this was their intention, and personally I think every spell works just fine in secret.

2. georgina June 20, 2016 at 2:44 am #

You know reading your post while this was a new affair to me for which I knew nothing about, I caught myself thinking, well, a hex doesn’t sound so bad. He deserves it. But then I went on to read this particular hex and could never put anything like that out in the universe.
    I hope you are feeling better and your health is back on track by now! Many blessings to you!

• diandralinnemann June 20, 2016 at 9:06 am #

Oh, he deserves all kinds of nasty things … I totally understand the urge to beat him up with spoons in a dark alley filled with crocodiles. Still I think that in an advanced society people should not take justice into their own hands, especially not on this scale. Ah, well …

3. peppylady (Dora) June 20, 2016 at 3:34 am #

Not sure if Hex or maybe round about way…this guy will get what he deserve though possible Karma…Coffee is on

• diandralinnemann June 20, 2016 at 9:07 am #

That I hope. I have very clear ideas about what rapists should reap, and it does not exactly fit the “love and light” trope, either.

4. Magaly Guerrero June 20, 2016 at 7:17 pm #

Every time people make this kind of public statement, I just shake my head. To think that people go around forever dancing in love and light is silly. And to say the things that were said in the manner that they were said is both irresponsible and very stupid. But hey, dumb and show-offish grows in all groups.

• diandralinnemann June 21, 2016 at 10:04 am #

Would never mind if he said, “I won’t hex because I think hexing is wrong.” Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Just don’t tell me I am not real (surreal maybe?) because I make my own decisions instead of following blindly. ^^