The Unbirthday Cake

29 Dec

Image

For Richard’s birthday, we went to Amsterdam (pictures to follow). Hence he did not get a homemade cake for his birthday. And this led to me, this afternoon and instead of completing the edits for my manuscript, locking myself in the kitchen to bake him an unbirthday cake.

See, we thought long about this, and we totally do not remember why his nickname is “Penguin”. But a penguin cake is what he got. A flock of penguins sitting on a snow-covered carrot cake and looking at a candle burning in a lake with their dope-glazed eyes. (That’s why they do not have any pupils.)

Image

One of the penguins in detail. I made them myself, my first attempt at figurine-forming. Making good-looking cakes was one of the things on this year’s to-do list, and I guess I have taken a big step in the right direction.

So, Knusperhaus visitors, what do you think – witch-worthy or not?

Feel free to add suggestions – what kind of cake should I try next?

8 Responses to “The Unbirthday Cake”

1. peppylady (Dora) December 30, 2012 at 2:29 am #

I don’t why but that frosting does look yummy.

Coffee is on.

• diandralinnemann December 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Yay for coffee! That frosting is almost purely sugar, but great for modelling and keepign the cake moist.

2. Magaly Guerrero December 30, 2012 at 5:09 am #

It’s only witch-worth if I can bite one of the penguin’s head off ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just kidding, unbirthdays are certainly witchy.

Talking about editing manuscripts… I should stop reading blogs.

3. Maren December 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

I would love a piece of that cake. ๐Ÿ˜€

• diandralinnemann December 31, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

I have to find a way to send off food via the internet. Would make you happy and me rich. ^^

4. jonquil December 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Great penguins! My favorite cake is dark chocolate with caramel icing.

• diandralinnemann December 31, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Sounds lovely. And would make the perfect background for a swamp monster cake…